Thursday, March 22, 2007

Hugs

Did you have a hug today? Experts say that “Four Hugs a Day Keeps the Doctor Away”.Can you remember when was the last time you hugged somebody or somebody hugged you? Think for a moment, how did it feel when you were being hugged?

There are different types of hugs. There are ‘I love you’ hugs, ‘I’m sorry’ hugs, ‘I missed you’ hugs, ‘Welcome home’ hugs, ‘I need you’ hugs, ‘Thank you’ hugs, ‘You look like you need a hug’ hug and so on. When we were kids the hugs came and went more easily. We hugged our father, mother, sisters, brothers, uncles, aunties, grandma, and grandpa. As we grew up, we hugged our close friends and our date. Or when some of us became parents we hugged our kids and they hugged us back. Gradually, we realized we didn’t hug someone we should and didn’t like to hug them anymore. To some of us, hugging didn’t come that easily because we were not brought up that way or may be we blamed it to our culture. Or some people just didn’t buy in by this hugging business.Hugs are much more than simply squeezing someone with your arms. By wrapping someone up in a hug you are transferring the feelings of warmth, safety, kindness, need, want, longing, concern and even love onto the hug. Hugging is a good way to show our appreciation, love, care, security and for making amends. It is healthy because it helps the body’s immunity system, keeps you healthier, cures depression, reduces stress, induces sleep, and it’s invigorating, rejuvenating and has no unpleasant side effects. Now don’t belittle this hugging business Hugging is like a miracle drug. Hug and make up. Ever experienced that?

I have a memorable incident how a working relationship was amended through a hug. Many years ago I had a boss whom I think did not see eye-to-eye with me. I don’t know why. Well, it’s a long story. One day both of us attended a management seminar. On the final day of the seminar, the trainer said that it was a confession time. It was a time for you to say thank you or say sorry. After the “confession”, if you accept the person, give him or her a hug or hand shake. So I took this opportunity to go up to my boss and say sorry even though I was not totally wrong and thanks him for his guidance. It’s alright to give in at the right time. Oh, mind, my boss burst into tears and both of us were in tears. And we agreed on a hug. Can you imagine what my feeling was? I was so relieved. A rock, not a stone, was let down from my heart. I feel this miracle drug everyday when my children hug me and I hug them. The love and bonds with my children are closer and stronger through hugging. I feel so good, especially when they hug me.

Basically you may hug anyone that is receptive of the hug but I don’t want you to misunderstand and take advantage and start hugging anybody. I bet you will get into trouble.
I would love to share with you a bookmark my best friend sent me many years ago regarding the Truth about Hugs:

1) There is no such thing as a bad hug, only good ones and great ones
2) Hugs are cholesterol-free, naturally sweet, 100% wholesome, non- fattening and they don’t cause cancer
3) Hugs are safe in all kind of weather and … in fact they are especially good for cold and rainy days
4) Hugs are exceptionally effective in treating problems like bad dreams or Monday blues.
5) Hugs are easy to care for, as they don’t need batteries or x-ray.
6) Hugs are non-taxable and returnable.

How much do hugs cost? Real hugs, physical hugs are free to give and receive. It takes only a moment to give a hug. A hugs life isn’t short- lived. The effects can last all day and lingering memory has been known to last for years.

Never wait until tomorrow to hug someone who deserves it and you could hug today, because when you give one, you get one right back. Just remember, Four Hugs a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

Cheers! :)

20 comments:

Praneem Subba said...

Hi >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< there goes 4 for the day ;)...simply honored to be buddies ..Very True " Four Hugs a Day Keeps the Doctor Away " ..well I know another way to keep the Docs at bay "An apple a day would keep the Doctor away" but then ....... if the Doctor is Handsome would you throw the Apple away ?????

Brynn Subba- New Delhi

patchwork said...

Hi! Praneem,

Well said. I will keep both. LOL

Anonymous said...

It depends on the situation, the individual, the relationship and the manner in which it is done.

For me, I always feel uneasy; the thought that it could be wrongly construed deters me.

(NB: comment migrated from x wordpress blog)

patchwork said...

Hi! Joe,

ha..ha… have the right feeling and you will do it right. It’s the way we were brought up and our culture that deters.

You will not get a bear hug from me then just incase you misread me…. LOL :) There are other ways don’t worry.

(NB: comment migrated from x wordpress blog)

Anonymous said...

Actually it is easier said than done. It cost nothing and we rarely done it. Nevertheless we should not hold back or think too much and just do it to those who deserve it.

patchwork said...

Hi! Steffan,

You are right. No not to hold back. Give it freely to the one who deserve it.

Anonymous said...

hi!!!
feeling good to participate.An apple a day keeps the doctor away, two apples keep the Dentist away and four apples keep the Cordialogist away. But when you do cost effective analysis, tell me which works out to be cheaper, Apples or hugs???????

patchwork said...

Hi! Annymous...
Thanks for leaving a "foot print" here. You sound like an economist,an accountant or an analyst doing such equation... i like your good sense of humor. keep it up. What do you think? Do it to find out :)

Anonymous said...

hi,
thanx. I am a Public Health person. Hence deal with Economics a lot. we take from the rich and give to the poor. so we try to minimise the expenses of the Government on the wealthy and save the money and divert the funds to deliver the goods to the doorsteps of the downtrodden.
in doing so I get a million of hugs almost from every one.lol
bye bye Anonymous

Anonymous said...

hiagain!!
just thought of a hugs Bank with the hugs we public health planning persons get from the poor.we can sell them for a high profit and also distribute some to the needy. so at every stage think of profits and investments, lol.
thanks anyway
bye bye

patchwork said...

Hi! Anonymous...
Putting your sense of humor aside i guess having a big heart and doing good deeds will be rewarded. Surely you deserved "million hugs". Even if you are not spending your own wealth but spending your skill and mind in economic planning still deserved to be appreciated..LOL Keep up your good work :)

Anonymous said...

"A hug is like boomerang-you get it back right away' so again came back to give u 10 million hugs for giving me such a wonderful opportunity to share my experiences on day to day basis.
I am honored. thanx again,lol!!

patchwork said...

Hi! Anonymous,

You are welcome to give the "million hugs". I need a tally counter though. LOL

Glad you are here again. May the real hug rings in our mind and stay in our heart and give where its rightfully due.

You are right, its the "boomerang" effect. Coined with "Knocked and it will open, Asked and it will be given, Seeked and you will find".

Anyway, nothing comes that easy huh? We need to make an effort.

Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts... do you blog too? If you do share your link...:) and if you don't start one and I will visit and leave some fine foot prints LOL! Cheers for all good days.

Anonymous said...

yes I did only one health related. but did not disclose to any except to one or two frens,coz, I am right now studying very deeply, Medical Astrology, based on Astrology and Psychology.very tough to understand, but I need to know as it is totally based on superstition and researchers are trying to figure out if there is atleast a grain of truth, as definitely, the planets, stars , all influence human behaviour. It is a tall order and I need some help to blog an connect it to the net. also need to regularly attend to mails. so I am still Annonymous. sure some day will have u r foot prints as I am sure you are pretty lady, so your foot prints bring me luck,lol!bye bye

patchwork said...

Hi! Anonymous,

Your wish is granted. Remain anonymous.. There are time for everything. I guess someone might also leave as anonymous and I have to identify which anonymous they are... LOL

Wow! I salute you! Indeed you are studying an interesting subject. supertitions vs scientific ...mind boggling huh? That gonna keep you busy. Try harder and never give up.

So you have a blog! Good.. take your time to fill up the e-pages.. like my first blog said... do it at your own pace. I will be honoured then to mess it with my "footprint" and "fingerprints" there. Looking forward.

All the best to your study and have fun too!

Anonymous said...

Yes I will surely have fun as I have loads od humor, lol!!
I am highly organised friend of your's.After delivery of a child, some women present with a condition called pph (Post Partum Haemorrhage). Like wise I chose ths nick name for me for u to identify u r ths Anonymoue, Public health anonymous(pha). I think u can recognise me. otherwise too it does not matter so long it conveys the message. u r wishes are with me pretty woman, laughs!It surely is interesting to interact with such a friendly person. yes u Librans are the Peace makers of the Zodiac, Venus gives them all that is needed to attain peace for mankind. I salute u too.
let me give 10 million hugs as I am not at all at loss,lol
bye patchwork, I am really honoured. bye

patchwork said...

Hi! Anonymous,

Great! Firstly, Cheers to you for having loads of humor.. you have already tickled my funny bones in some of the lines i have read so far. That you deserve lots of hugs not a million yet LOL...Secondly, cheers for being a highly organised person. I bet you are. Juggling with work, parenting and studies and many more.. dare not run the list here.. :)

The pleasure is mine too to interact with you here. hehe in some sense in many occasions, i do jump in as "peacemaker" a fair maker too.

Thanks for the million hugs..I am lucky to be thrown with it. I am honoured to have your "footprints and fingerprints" here..

See you around pph, pha.. i guess i can identify you by the way you expressed via pen. Take care...

Anonymous said...

hi Patchwork,
how u been young lady?
not hugged you for so long, thought why not now and also deposit one million hugs for the children in and around your place.
The topic I selected is a bit tough so just taking things easy and started loafing around an meeting people to understand them one on one basis. This will have some social interaction and can hug them, ofcourse according to the social norms of the place. yes, still we are very traditional and conservative, laughs!!!
so that much for today an see you sometime later, bye and good luck...

patchwork said...

Hi! Anonymous,
Thanks for the thoughts and revisiting here and checking out how I am.. that not only send a "e-hug" but it touched my heart too. That's what I mean..."got heart" cos i can't say it better in English term. LOL. So it coined with "if there is a will there is a way" huh?...

Glad to know your studies are coming along... nice to meet people and understand them..olala..one to one basis. Guess you gonna conclude that human being is the hardest creature to understand.. hahahaa... you tell me later with your executive summary of the findings...

Sure sure.. we are still "very traditional". Don't deposit your hugs anyhow.. you must be given a cold shoulder or a slap. Don't sue me for that...:)

Well, if you still feel like sending your e-hugs... you can always send it to my mail: caldjos@gmail.com

Good thing you revist here too cos it reminded me to continue to post as its dormant for a while... I have keep my mind and hand busy with business proposal instead... gees.. i better do something light by blogging...

I am sending you my e-hug & blog-hug to wish well.

Take care..

pamela hudson said...

Hi Patchwork,
after many days here I am to hug u.
Been pretty busy with my project.
Hope all is well an u r doing fine.

Hope u remembered me , Anonymous....I am Dr. Priya Neupaney...thanx for the knowledge u gave us.

bye with million hugs, ha ha

dr.p.neupaney

Tickets