Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day

I don’t celebrate the stereotypical and commercialized Mother’s Day. To me everyday is and should be a Mother’s Day.

Well, you may ask why the title in this blog………?

It’s the warm feelings of friends remembering me and knowing that I am a mum and sending those wishes through sms and emails. It’s the thought that counts that make today so nice. I was thinking, are we only remembered during such occasions?

The following are some nice sms greetings received locally and from overseas.

“Happy Mother’s Day” (many with these greetings)

“As the Sky Breaks into a Beautiful Sunrise, May God Open the Heaven to Shower You Lots of Love and Happiness to Make Your Day a “Blessed” one. Happy Mother’s Day!”

“Hope you have a Good Rest. Happy Mother’s Day!”

“Happy Mummy’s Day, dear”.

“Happy Mother’s Day, godmum. I love ya so much”

“It Would Take a Thousand Workers to Build a Castle, A Million Soldiers to Protect its Country, But it Only Takes One Woman to Build a Happy Home…. Happy Mother’s Day!”

“Happy Mother’s Day, love.”

Many e-mails poured in but I love this one:-

When I'm an old lady,
I'll live with each kid,
And bring so much happiness...just as they did.
I want to pay back all the joy they've provided.
Returning each deed! Oh, they'll be so excited!

(When I'm an old lady and live with my kids)
I'll write on the wall with reds, whites and blues,
And I'll bounce on the furniture...wearing my shoes.
I'll drink from the carton and then leave it out.
I'll stuff all the toilets and oh, how they'll shout!


(When I'm an old lady and live with my kids)
When they're on the phone and just out of reach,
I'll get into things like sugar and bleach.
Oh, they'll snap their fingers and then shake their head,

(When I'm an old lady and live with my kids)
When they cook dinner and call me to eat,
I'll not eat my green beans or salad or meat,
I'll gag on my okra, spill milk on the table,
And when they get angry...I'll run...if I'm able!

(When I'm an old lady and live with my kids)
I'll sit close to the TV, through the channels I'll click,
I'll cross both eyes just to see if they stick.
I'll take off my socks and throw one away,
And play in the mud 'til the end of the day!

(When I'm an old lady and live with my kids)
And later in bed, I'll lay back and sigh,
I'll thank God in prayer and then close my eyes.
My kids will look down with a smile slowly creeping,
And say with a groan, "She's so sweet when she's sleeping!"

God Bless All Moms and Grandmas and Great-grandmas everywhere!
(author – unknown)


What else makes the day better? I can’t ask for more. A good coincidence: spending five hours with another mother - my best friend, Phyllis. Due to her work, she has to transit in my city before boarding the last flight back home. We talked and laughed over her coffee and my green tea and then dinner with my family and my mothers before sending her off to the airport. Many hugs were given and received from the children for both mothers.

A good wrap up for the day was when I received a card from my only 8th year old daughter before she goes to bed, which reads as follows:

“My mum is the most wonderful mum in the world!
She’s as pretty as a flower.
Her favorite food is fish and vegetable.
I think mum is funny when she laughs.
But I know she’s really angry when I do not do my
homework.
I love my mum because she helps me with my homework.
Happy mother’s Day” Love, Sarah


To all my friends and wonderful mothers, have a wonderful Mother's Day everyday!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's very touching and warm.

Thanks for the unique mothers' day - I shall remember for as long as I can remember.

Thanks for allowing me to enjoy the warm hug of your mother. I felt my own mother's warm embrace from heaven!

patchwork said...

Hi! My best friend Yan,

It's heavenly made for that unique day.

Both our mums have some similar personalities and characteristics of being our wonderful mum. Seeing you with my mum does reminds me of your mum too and the touching moment creep into my heart and my eyes was watery too.

My pleasure to let you feel that warmth with my mum. Feel free to feel it anytime.

It was great having you with us.

Good Day forever!

Anonymous said...

Yes, its a good, thoughful Blog about one considers and one accomplishes mother´s day! Indeed each day should be one mother´s day somehow! The letter of Ur doughter are so beautiful and cute written!

Bkworm said...

What a sweet card from your daughter. Happy Mother's Day to you! :D

patchwork said...

Hi! Steffan,

Thanks for visiting and sharing your good thoughts.

patchwork said...

Hi! Bkworm,

Indeed it was a sweet one... that it gonna sweeten all my days. Thanks for dropping by. Cheers!

just me said...

Hopped over from Yan's blog

Belated Mother's day greetings!

patchwork said...

Hi! just me,

How lucky to have you hopped here.

Better late then never and thanks for the greetings. It still touched me.

Hopped more often... :)

dobbs said...

Belated Mother's Day Wishes. Lovely pic of you and Yan. Such a sweet card from your daughter -- the icing on the cake!

patchwork said...

Hi! Dobbs,

Thanks for dropping by... yea you said it well on the card.

panda-bear said...

This story is so warm :D
I think you're a very nice mother, so your daughter grew up so nice then could write such a hearful card!!

Her face is so cute! and looks like you!!

I am also very similar to my mother in both face and character.

patchwork said...

Hi! panda-bear,

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your comments. That too warms my heart.

I am trying to be a nice mum. Yea, she is cute and sweet to write such a nice card and i was indeed touched too. What goes in the little mind does amazes us really. Worth the bringing up in pain, tears and joy.

I will show her your comment :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for those reflexions about the mother's day. I think too that everyday should be the mother's day because all what we do to our mothers we will not attain what they have done for us since pregnancy to adult.
Permit me to say that our prophet Mohamed(peace be upon him)said :"The paradise is under the legs of mothers".
We feel the importance of our mother and father when we got children.
God bless you and your family and happy mother's day everyday.

patchwork said...

hi! Dino,

You are right.. and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Tickets