Thursday, May 31, 2007

"It's Almost There"

There is something that I aspire to do despite many New Year’s resolutions, but failed. That is to set time for exercise and keep fit. I want to age gracefully thus I need a healthier life style. I took up dancing and went for swimming… but somehow I didn’t keep the dancing lessons going but went swimming once in a while. That’s not enough.

In August last year, I took up new exercises - jungle trekking and mountain climbing. I was lucky to have a buddy who kindly offered to accompany me on this new quest. My buddy suggested going to Kpg Taba Sait, about forty-five minutes drive away from the city. I took three hours for the to and fro journey compared to two hours for the villagers.



So the trek began. With much difficulty and a series of out of breath moments; I finally came to an interesting site where I needed to cross two bamboo suspension bridges at a one person walking width. One of the bridge measured approximately about 100 over feet long and the other about 50 over feet long and hanging about 40 to 50 feet above the streams. It’s scary to walk across the shaky bamboo bridges. It’s really an experience. My courage was tested.

Honestly, I wanted to give up the journey many times…I was so exhausted lacking stamina and I just fell flat on the ground to take a rest. However, my buddy encouraged me saying “It’s almost there”. I have forgotten how many times I asked whether we are reaching our destination. Repeatedly, the encouraging words “It’s almost there” was uttered. It was the echo of “It’s almost there” that spurred me on and I finally reached the village welcomed by the serenity of nature and the friendly faces of the village folk and happy children. It’s good to get away from the city and enter the tranquility of the village life.

At the end of my jungle trek my Nike shoe sole was ripped open, my body was tired and my muscles ached. In exchange I felt rich in the spirit, refreshed from breathing the fresh air in the jungle and getting the positive ion from the jungle and feeling good all because I did not give up and make it. I felt victorious and satisfied with the end result.

Many times in our life journey, the feelings are like such. There are so many things that we want to do but felt like giving up or have given up. Please hold on to your dreams, realize it. It’s likened to my first jungle trek that I wanted to give up. My buddy encouraged me and said, “It’s almost there”. That gave me the strength to carry on. There were voices of encouragement that push us on. Listen to those. Hear those voices and persevere, my friends. Never give up, “it’s almost there”. Yes, I will continue to trek and climb mountains to find solace in within.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are there already, dear friend!

Very, very brave and adventurous.

20 years ago, I climbed Mt Kinabalu. And my record remains there. Could never break my own record.

Now, I do my cross-trainer faithfully everyday for half and hour. That's it. Not much joy, not much motivation, it's just routine.

And I dare not say I want to join you oneday. Even if you shout to be "You're almost there", I know I won't move :)

patchwork said...

Hi! Yan,

I am there for that trek only and many more to come.

Wow! you have made that memorable victory - to the peak of Mt KK. Great! You are there earlier than me. I am going next month.

Keep it up on your cross- trainer. That is something too... faithfully is the key word. Thumbs up for you my best friend.You will find solace the way you want it.

I never give up to give you a shout to have a small easier trek...:)

Bring along your comfortable walking shoe next trip...

Joe Rinehart said...

You are such an inspiration! It has been a few decades since I've enjoyed the opportunity to actually climb a mountain... your jungle trek reminded me of a couple of those opportunities as a young man in the U.S. Marines.

Fortunately, I had jungle boots ;) Even then, I think you would have had to carry me across the bamboo bridge - LOL

patchwork said...

Hi! Joe,

Thanks for the compliment.

Wow! Those were your good old days... would love to see you doing it again.

Ha..ha... since you not using the jungle boots let me use it. I gonna stuff some some tissue inside so it fits. Yea, guess i have to carry and walk across the bamboo bridge :)

Praneem Subba said...

"You're almost there" reminds me of Rev Father Cherian our School representative for the Trek

Talking about the bridge crossing reminds of one trek every North Pointers (Students of St Joseph’s School, Darj) trek it out …The Basic adventure course, Himalayan Mountaineering Institute (HMI) …This was the 4th day of long and winding up hill trek...we came across a detour..the bridge ahead was on repair…as we were lagging a bit behind and our weary eyes looking ahead for our next rest place …We decided to cross the bridge …..30% work remaining it was a scary thing…we tired…at about the middle we had to literally cling on the frame …100+ ft above the ground...only a brat will try that …but at the end it was worthy.

Trek :- Darjeeling –Dzongri (14000feet above sea level)

Now this is my comfort zone...the hills, jungle and a bamboo bridge…. being a hill man basically, but working now in the city I miss my Darjeeling(home town) ..What a place to belong

…Said Mark Twain of Darjeeling:
"THE ONE LAND THAT ALL MEN DESIRE TO SEE,
AND HAVING SEEN ONCE BY EVEN A GLIMPSE
WOULD NOT GIVE THAT GLIMPSE
FOR THE SHOWS OF THE REST OF THE WORLD COMBINED."

patchwork said...

Hi! Praneem,

Thanks for sharing your old school days experience.

You have painted a mental picture of that trek and bridge. I can visualized it. I am excited and I want to go there one day.... yes the beautiful Darjeeling!

I will defintely give you a shout if the plan is materialized. Get out of the city and go to the hills again.

Cheers!

JOEPSC said...

Wow...the experience would be complete if you were to camp overnight in the jungle or on the mountain! I believe it would be quite safe to do that?

patchwork said...

Hi! joepsc,

It's meant for a day trip to this village. A good one to camp overnight will be another 3 hours trek to another village with beautiful sceneries, waterfall and women who wore rings around the neck a rare tribe here and not many left too.

I will go there one day and will take some more pics and blog here.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful report on a journey with many thoughts on think! I do not know, how I would feel, if I had to go over such a bamboo bridge! Whether I can make this experience ever? The moral of your beautiful story to never give up! I hope that I in my life in apparently hopeless situations enough Power find not to give up! Thanks for your motivation! "It´s almost there!"

patchwork said...

Hi! Steffan,
Don't think you dare or not step on the bamboo bridge. Have faith in yourself and you can. Otherwise think there is a tiger chasing you.. LOL.

I am glad if it inspire you not to give. Yes! Never give up!

Bkworm said...

Thanks for this encouraging post. Gives me the inspiration to go on. :)

patchwork said...

Hi5! Bkworm,

Great!...yes to go on and never give up!

bionix55 said...

hi there,

A very inspiring story about your jungle trekking - "It's almost there"

Well done.... keep it up !

Looking forward to read your story on your KK trip.

regards,

patchwork said...

Hi! Bionix55,

Thanks for dropping by and leave your encouragement.

Yes, I will share my Mt KK climb whatever the climb will take.

Cheers!

panda-bear said...

Dear patchwork,
Your story encouraged me a lot!
‘hold on your dream’ ‘It’s almost there.’ are so impressed.

If I were you, I could not walk across such an scared bridge.
Patchwork is brave!

patchwork said...

Dear panda-bear,
I am happy if you felt encouraged :). You gonna make it if you hold on to your dream!

Come and visit me and I will take you to this bamboo bridge and encourage you to walk over it. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

You are invited to Caliburn Camp, bring along some friends to camp for at least 2 nights; no jungle adventure without a campfire!
And Mylady you are a great writer!

patchwork said...

Hi! Henry,

Thanks for dropping by at my blog and the compliments.

Yes, I will surely visit your camp and like you said it's never complete without a camp fire.... reminding me of my school days :)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. Its great that you have the perseverance to keep it going, but then I have always admired your strength and determination.

to complete something that is not easily accomplished brings a certain kind of satisfaction that stays with you, and makes you a stronger and better person. As in life, no pain, no gain. Perhaps your experiences on the mountain will be an inspiration for others who are facing difficult situations and hopefully will get some couch potatoes out of the house!

Look forward to you next piece.

Andy19

patchwork said...

Hi! Andy19,

Thanks for visiting my blog and share your thoughts and your encouragement.

Yes! I need that "push" to continue my next piece too. Soon I hope.

Cheers!

Tickets