Saturday, December 29, 2007

So Far Yet So Near

So Near Yet So Far! What’s that feeling? Can you feel and have you felt before?

On 21 June 2007, my friends and I decided to embark on a quest to conquer the highest mountain in South East Asia – Mt Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia. Many have traveled (an average of 200,000 climbers/tourists annually to be more exact) from afar and all parts of the world came to scale this mountain and conquer the highest peak called the Low Peak which is 4095.2 meter and get a photo of their victorious smile together with the sense of satisfaction as well as a certificate to keep as a record and souvenir.

I didn’t want to be left out because Mt Kinabalu, which is located in Sabah, happens to be in my neighboring state. It is an hour 20 min flight to Kota Kinabalu from my city – Kuching, Sarawak. It is not only the First World Heritage Site of Malaysia, it is also a magnet to travelers and a symbol of conservation for natural history enthusiasts as well as biologists all over the world. Despite the increasing tourist traffic, the preservation of the National Park continues undisturbed, for on this one mountain alone there are more than 4000 species of vascular plants, thousands of insect forms, more than 300 bird species and 100 mammals, and many other life forms.











On my way to the national park to spend a night of relaxation and mental preparation before the climb, we stopped by the Poring hot spring to have a dip in the cold and hot pools to soothe our body muscles in anticipation for quest, and it was great fun. We then left and continued our drive to the national park, greeted by the cool and fresh air. I did not mind staying at the National Park Summit Lodge, where it was nice to enjoy the coolness and serenity while gazing at the peak of Mt. Kinabalu from our lodge; it was just too enticing as not to continue the journey next morning.









Keeping in mind the thought of ‘never give up’, the journey began. It was neither an easy climb nor is it a hard climb. However, the man-made steps which were quite far apart was killing my left knee. When I was at 2800 meters my knee started to hurt. Each stride and step I took was pure pain. I have never had a knee injury throughout the many jungle treks and hills or mountain climbs before. I had to cling onto my mountain guide’s arm to continue. I nearly gave up but there was no chance to retreat. It was a real test of will-power and mental toughness. Finally, I arrived at the 3,272 meter (11,000 feet) rest house – Laban Rata. I took 8 hours (while others took 3 to 4 hours) to reach because I spent many hours taking photos; the wide range of vegetation and rugged landscape was just too fascinating. It’s cold in the evening in Laban Rata Rest house – 11 degrees centigrade. It was nice despite the cold. I was filled with a sort of inner peace. I took a warm shower, and then moved on to a sumptuous dinner where I met a few new friends. Many climbers rested early that night because we had to get up at 2.30am the next morning for the summit climb.













I was ready by 2.30am despite the freezing temperature of about 9.8 degree centigrade. My knee still hurt but I still wanted to press on because I felt like the summit was within reach; just another 823.2 meter. This would be the hardest stretch of the whole climb, but you will be overcome by a feeling that none can describe unless it is experienced personally. I walked in pain, clinging onto my guide’s arm for about 300 meter before I finally waved the white flag. Many climbers and a group of my new-found friends, elderly Japanese climbers, went past me. I sat down for a while before I got up in another attempt to continue my journey. I made a few more attempts before I finally had to give in. I was devastated, and I broke down in tears. The feeling was terrible. I was defeated because of my inexperience and things I need to let go. Due to that situation, I had to come to terms with myself, and reluctantly I went back to the rest-house to rejuvenate and heal my injured knees.


















It’s so near and yet so far because I did not make it to the top and I missed the beauty from the rugged peak of Mt Kinabalu. The Glacial Super-highway, South Peak (is a bizarre rock-desert), Donkey’s Ears (most characteristic summit feature viewed from Low’s Gully) and of course the Low Peak (highest). (The photos taken by my friends who made it to the summit.)

However, before I left at lunch time, one of the elderly Japanese climbers I just met gave me a stone he picked from the summit as a gift to me from the summit. I was so touched, for he knew how one felt when you are so near and yet so far. Thanks Toshi-san. The stone will be an inspiration to persevere and never give up. It also reminded me of how it was like to be remembered; through the kind thoughts of my newly-made friend.











I was presented with a certificate from Kinabalu Park as a record and a souvenir for an ascent of Mount Kinabalu for elevation reached at 3,272 meter (11,000 feet) which is not coloured. (The certificate for Reaching the summit is with colour).
A signpost at Laban Rata said, “Take Nothing but Photographs, Leave Nothing but Footprints, and Keep Nothing but Memories”. Yes, for now its a memorable memories and I will surely return again one day to renew my quest to conquer the summit and get the coloured certificate. Never Give Up!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Sandra. There is certainly a lot to read and digest here. Many interesting stories. It's always interesting to have an insight into someone elses mind and life. One thing your trek shows is that preperation is essential, especially as we get older. I know the pain that knees can give. (Ouch!) Do try again sometime.
All the best,
Dave.

patchwork said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
patchwork said...

hmmm... please do not suffer any"indigestion". Just kidding. You are right, preparations physically and mentally are highly recommended. Come, join in the climb!

Anonymous said...

Hello, Patchwork!
What is 'vascular plants'?
National Park Summit Lodge seems to make climbers relax very much.
You wore shorty shorts, were there no mosquitos?
I think I know how you feel both inner peace at the rest house and devastated when you could not continue to climb...
I respect your choice that you choose your health. That is important becasue you have legs to try to climb again.
Your muffler is colorful, you look like 'girl'!!
Toshi-san is thoughtful man, nice Japanese!

patchwork said...

Hi! Panda-bear,

Thanks for dropping by and leave your encouraging and nice comments to make me smile. Still young at heart (the "girl" look ha ha..)

Yes! you are right, as long as the heart, energy and will is there, i will return to climb. Maybe i will ask you to join me this time so you can experience the summit lodge and also the scenery of Mt Kinabalu. How about that???

Tickets