Monday, December 31, 2007

BIRTHDAY WISH ON “AIR”

7th Oct was my birthday, and that of my third son Darryl’s too. I do not usually celebrate my birthday. Darryl and I shared our birthday cake.

It’s a pleasure to receive so many birthday wishes from friends via sms, e-card, instant messaging and emails. Feeling good to be thought of. Strangely, this year a few close friends I consider dear totally forgot my birthday which they never missed. Does it hurt? Yes and No. Actions speak louder than words, I seem to concur, and I knew what it meant. I believe we choose to remember or forget and it is a matter of the heart.

Coincidentally, I had to fly to Kuala Lumpur for my office meeting on my birthday which I don’t really like because I want to have a more relaxed time to enjoy Darryl’s birthday cake and dinner.

It turned out to be a pleasant surprise to fly then. When the plane touched down at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), I heard an announcement wishing me “Happy Birthday”. The chief stewardess walks to my aisle seat to confirm to my identity and shook hands with me and presented me a mug and some tarts instead of a cake… That was a nice gesture and going all out to service the passenger. I was embarrassed in a way too because it seem most of the passenger knew it was my birthday when I would prefer to keep a low profile. I don’t think Malaysia Airline System (MAS) does this to all passengers who flew on their birthday. It was the random act and pro-activeness of the crew of that flight. Well done! Hope they do keep that up to cheer people.

I really feel good and a consolation that I was remembered and wished in a different situation. It really made my day and I feel so light hearted when walking out of the plane to the custom clearance and arrival hall and smiles on my face while in the KLIA express train. I should say it was my best birthday. Life is not that bad after all.

Somehow, I realize that no one is perfect in this world but always remember that nothing can make us more perfect than being patient. When we learn to stay calm, the world will be the most peaceful place to us. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats a really nice surprise and experience! I can understand Ur feeling on this day! Its a nice gesture! Hope I never forget Ur Birthday in future!

patchwork said...

Hi! Steffan,
Thanks for trying to remember... even if you forget your thoughts here now count... Cheers!

Tickets