Monday, December 31, 2007

Double Winnings in a Week

December is a busy month with many happenings. All these years I always experienced it with a very mixed feeling. Busy and rushing for annual business close, clearing backlogs, clearing papers and “rubbish” on the table, events and functions to go to; the feelings are like that there are so many things left undone. It is like spring cleaning physically and emotionally to pave the way for the New Year.

On 18th December 2007, my Toastmasters club held the Executive Committee Installation dinner. No announcement was made for the “Best Dressed” prior the dinner. Surprisingly, I was picked the best dressed. I had on a matching pearl necklace, ear stud and bracelet and a beige sandal to match my simple dress. It is just a simple dressing and nothing grand. I was delighted for the surprise.

On 21st December, 07, The Sarawak Club organized a “Big Tie” Christmas Party at the Badger Bar (I do not celebrate x'mas and it is a dinner for me). I have been a member for more than 20 over years but I never participated in most events. My friend asked me to go for this one as they are serving turkey. I will normally dress to the theme. This photo shows some other club member wearing a tie and bow.

So creatively, I used green and red-colored paper to make a big tie in the shape of a Christmas tree and decorated it with glitters (my son and daughter helped me with the glitters). My daughter, Sarah was curious and enquired why I took the trouble to make the tie (she went shopping with me to buy the items). I told her I wanted to win a prize for wearing a big tie to the dinner. I was taken aback when she said, “Mummy, you don’t have to win every time”. I asked why? She said, “Sometime let others win”. I ponder over it for a while. Can we let others win? Do we have such a big heart of giving? I told her, you are right. It is not all about winning but it is a matter of the heart and your effort in doing your best and having fun in doing it.

I really did my best and put an effort and I was the winner of the “Big-tie” event and won myself a bottle of white wine. It is such a nice feeling to be a 2-time winner in a week and a memorable round up for the year end.

4 comments:

JOEPSC said...

Congratulations on your double winnings, and a belated "Happy Birthday"... and here's more.. wishing you a "Happy and Prosperous Lunar New Year"

patchwork said...

hi! joepsc,

thanks for the 3-in-1 congratulatory and wishes...and visiting my page despite my long silence... you are so encouraging by leaving a short note.. wish you a great year of the Lunar New Year of the Rat!

Unknown said...

Hi Sis! Congratulation to Ur double winning! I wished I would have more time 4 reading Ur blogs! They are always informative and inspire me!

patchwork said...

Thanks bro Steffen... i am glad you enjoy it and i must keep my blog going...to entertain you...:)

Tickets