Wednesday, May 16, 2007

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is Broadway’s longest-running and most popular musical which returns to Singapore for a limited season in March 2007. It is a worldwide sensation which takes Singapore audiences on an unrivalled musical theatre journey. Together with my two friends, Damien and Daphne, we flew all the way to Singapore on 5th May 2007 and were later joined by my godson, Gabriel who works in Singapore – four of us to be among the lucky audience.

Andrew Lloyd Webber’s phenomenal hit first burst onto the London stage 20 years ago, and continues to play to full houses nightly in London, New York and around the world. THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA has been seen by over 80 million people worldwide, has been performed in more than 20 countries, has won over 50 major theatre awards, and has grossed more than S$5 billion.

Why go through all that distance and spent that money? Well, we should go where the heart desires. It’s worth watching this two and half hour musical put up by 130 casts, crew and orchestra members, spectacular sets and more than 230 costumes, It contains some of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s most famous and stirring music. The performance was really superb, with mesmerizing songs played through the wonderful sound system. A great show really.

It is a heart-wrenching story of the mysterious “Angel of Music” who lives beneath the Paris Opera House. The hideously disfigured Phantom falls in love with the young singer Christine, devoting himself to creating a new opera star while exercising a reign of terror over the Opera House’s occupants.

It’s a touching story with a sad ending where Christine gave the Phantom a kiss and a hug. He let her go to her lover reluctantly. He has a big heart. Could we do the same? Christine ran to her lover and seeing her go, he called out “I love you, I love you”…… That scene was heart wrenching. It makes you feel so much sympathy for the Phantom because of his unrequited love and passionate desire for Christine. I believe many were touched to the verge of tears, including me. Why does the Phantom want to fall in love?

We all want to fall in love like the Phantom. Why? The reason being that experience makes one completely alive. Where every sense is lifted, every emotion is magnified and our everyday reality is shattered. It’s like flying into heavens. It may last a moment, an hour and an afternoon. That doesn’t diminish its value because we are left with memories that are treasured for the rest of our live. The Phantom chose to treasure those memories and the feelings for the rest of his life.

The show will be over at the end of May. "If you see only one show, make sure it is this one!" Seize the chance to see it in Singapore or grab a VCD to enjoy the musical. The songs are lovely.

18 comments:

doc said...

for me, it's just irony.

i was in UK for 4 years but don't ask me why i didn't go watch The Phantom. i watched Cats, Miss Saigon, Les Miserables & The Buddy Holly Story, but i passed over this one.

there was a spoof movie made in the 70s based on this story called the Phantom of the Paradise, with a very similar storyline & some very nice music composed by Paul Williams, who also played a lead role. & i have the original DVD of this movie, as if to make up for not watching the real Phantom live.

ironical, isn't it?

patchwork said...

Hi! Doc,

Hmmm... indeed.

So you are fans of the musicals too. I saw some and missed some :(

Yeap! probably you should grab another original DVD for The Phantom of the Opera to complete the list.

For your info "Swan Lake" will be shown in September this year.

Joe Rinehart said...

Can I go to see it in Tronto, CA? Although, it might be fun to see it in Singpore ;)

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Bkworm said...

I wanted to go for it but have to go down to Singapore. Ticket prices are also quite steep. But I love the songs. :) ...especially when the Phantom sings. Makes all my hair stand.

patchwork said...

Hi! Joe,

Surely you can fly to Canada if thats nearer to you! Goes if the heart desire.

patchwork said...

Dear Bkworm,

The sound system make the songs really good. It will make your hair stand on ends even more :)

You are right! We feel the pinched due to the exchange rates, but its worth "investing".

"If you see only one show make sure it is this one".

Anonymous said...

I was there two times in April/May. Given it a thought - but each time, I won't open my purse :)

The truth? Just can't find time for the show with friends to catch up with!

Probably seeing this show, we have to be intentional about it - like you making a special trip for it.

Yan

patchwork said...

My best friend Yan,

Its not about your "purse". You can afford it. Your time just don't permit you. Beside, you need to have an interest and also the company to go with.

The "Swan Lake" will be showing same place in September. Make a date and see this one.

Grab a DVD for The Phantom of the Opera and the other musicals. Hee..hhee.. learn to like musicals, no regrets.

Anonymous said...

Hi
First of all I have to say I'm French, so that my language will probably seem as weird as my request...
er...
I wondered, since you've moved to blogspot, if you could free up your wordpress account? I really would like to create a blog under this address. This word means a lot to me.
You may want to keep your archives somewhere, so I would understand if you preferred not to destroy your account, but I had to ask.

It would be very gentle to you to answer here or on my hotmail (motenaii@hotmail.com), whether your answer is yes or no.

BTW, your blog is cool (I really liked the Hanoi photos for I have family in Vietnam, and even if I know better Saigon and the South, I often visited Hanoi ^^)

Thank you for answering (bis repetita... lol)
-- Jilian

JOEPSC said...

You have got to be an ardent fan of musicals to travel all the way here!

patchwork said...

Hi! Jilian
Great mind think alike. Thanks for travelled so far to read my blog and comments.

The rest I have replied you via mail. Do drop by my blog when your are free again. Cheers!

patchwork said...

hi! joepsc,
You are absolutely right. No regrets at all.

Bkworm said...

hi patchwork,
You've been tagged. :)

patchwork said...

Hi! bkworm,

Kind thoughts :)
Happy Blogging!

Anonymous said...

A wonderful comment over travels and the meeting! I admire your representation arts! I enjoy reading it your Blogs!

patchwork said...

Hi! Steffan,

Very true its wonderful to meet up with friends and travel and having the same interest.

Thanks for the compliments!

just me said...

Do you like the ending of Phantom of the Opera? Or would you change it?

patchwork said...

Hi! just me,

Yea the ending was heart-wrenching. Touching.

Good question......would i change it? Guess it was meant for that punch that makes it so emotional for the viewers. All hearts goes all out for the Phantom. Indeed "he (the actor/singer has a loud applause when the show ends- he was the hero".

Will you?

Tickets